A squat is deemed by many as the be-all-end-all exercise for getting a great butt. But what if you’re injured or just dislike this exercise?
Not to worry, as there are plenty of other exercises that can get your butt in great shape. Here are five of the best booty-building exercises out there.
Lateral Band Walk
This is a great warm-up exercise, as it will activate your muscles and loosen up your hips and knees. It will improve hip stability and also put a focus on your gluteus medius.
You will need a resistance band. Start with a low resistance band and work your way up.
- Keep the band flat and place it around your legs above each ankle.
- Place your feet shoulder-width apart. If the band is loose, place your feet wider apart.
- Bend your knees into a half-squat stance. This position will activate your glutes.
- Shift your weight over your left leg and take a step to the side with your right leg.
- Bring your leg back in.
Repeat this eight to ten times with each leg. You should have a low forward-facing posture with your back straight.
This exercise will whip your butt into shape. It’s also very functional and great for balance and stabilization.
Get something you can step on, like a chair or a box. It has to be able to support your weight and stay stable.
- Placing your right foot on the box.
- Push off your right foot to try to get into a standing position on the box.
- While you are pushing, you should be lifting your other leg and bending it to a 90-degree angle.
- Get back down in the original position.
Do at least three sets with 8-10 repetitions for both legs. Switch legs after each set.
The Romanian Deadlift is arguably an even better booty-builder than the squat. For this movement, you will need a barbell or two dumbbells.
- Place the barbell or dumbbells in front of you.
- While keeping your back straight, bend your knees slightly. Your legs and hands should be shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your hips and grab the barbell or dumbbells.
- Push your hips forward and up to raise the barbell or dumbbells. Squeeze your butt at the top position and hold for 1-2 seconds.
- Lower back to the starting position.
Do two to three sets of 8-10 reps. This exercise is quite taxing, don’t overdo it.
This exercise should be performed with dumbbells to increase the intensity and really get those glutes active.
- Start from a standing position holding two dumbbells.
- Step back with your left leg, while lowering your body at the same time. Go down until you bend your right leg to a 90-degree angle.
- Raise yourself to the starting position.
The sets and reps depend on the weight of the dumbbells. Shoot for three sets of 8-12 reps.
This isolation exercise will target each glute cheek separately. Do donkey kicks at the end of your workouts to really feel the burn.
- Start by getting on all fours. Place your hands under your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Start lifting your right leg back while straightening the knee. Focus on doing this using your glutes.
- Lower your leg back to the starting position, but without your knee touching the floor.
Do three sets of 12 reps.
Road to a Shapely Booty
Keep in mind that while these exercises are great glute builders, you aren’t going to get there without consistency. So, keep working at it until you are satisfied with your derriere.